My client based in Portsmouth is seeking a Financial Controller to join their team to support a restructure within the business.
Being a key part of the management group and a senior role within the company. Responsible for all aspects of Financial Control, tax compliance, production of management accounts, preparation of statutory accounts and commercial support to the business.
As a family-owned SME, this role requires a strong, hands-on qualified accountant who can communicate and influence at multiple levels from Main Board to all staff from various departments
• Ensuring an effective financial control framework is in place in line with best practice.
• Provision of a value-add service including insightful analysis and decision support.
• Be responsible for review and continuous improvement within the business process framework of all accounting and finance team processes.
• Ensuring accounting policies are in line with UK GAAP.
• Production of monthly Management Accounts and supporting the company accountant in producing the Annual Statutory accounts.
• Work with management team on co-ordination and generation of budgets and forecasts.
• Weekly and monthly detailed cashflow planning.
• Generation of monthly management reports, board packs and shareholder reports.
• Oversee and get involved with payroll and payroll reporting as needed.
• Management of Business Insurances.
• Managing all people aspects of the Finance team on an individual basis ensuring effective CPD is in place.
• In-depth understanding of invoice discounting (“ID”). The individual is expected to effectively manage the ID facility.
• Contribute to the development of a company performance management programme.
• Clearly identifying and dealing with areas of financial control risk & opportunity in partnership with the management.
• Reviewing business financial performance and recommending areas of focus and improvement.
• In-depth understanding of Sage line 50. The individual is expected to have an enquiring mind and to learn the company CRM that manages stock, sales and purchase ledger.
• Liaison with company accountants to ensure continuous development of management systems and KPI’s.
• Responsible for tax compliance, R&D returns (where available), VAT returns and other HMRC related forms and COSEC.
• Liaison with Tax advisors on tax planning matters.
• Support the management team on ad hoc strategic financial management matters.
• Proven experience as a Financial Controller
• Extensive understanding of financial trends both within the company and general market patterns
• Proficient user of finance software
• Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
• Able to manage, guide and lead employees to ensure appropriate financial processes are being used
• A solid understanding of financial statistics and accounting principles
• Working knowledge of all statutory legislation and regulations
• AAT qualified / studying CIMA / ACCA or Qualified by Experience
What you’ll get in return
You will gain the opportunity to develop your career and skill set in a challenging role. A competitive salary of up to £55,000, parking on site and holiday